Enhanced 911 or e911 is a feature of the 911 emergency-calling system that automatically associates a physical address with the calling party's telephone number. This ensures that emergency services are able to identify your physical location in the event you need their assistance.
Why would I use e911?
An e911 address must be listed for each physical address that uses a phone on our network. If a new location is added, the new address must be listed at that time.
How do I set up e911?
- First you will need to navigate to Admin > Configuration > e911.
- Click the add location button.
- Fill out the location name, as well as all of the address fields.
- Once you have entered the completed address, click the Validate button. The e911 system will validate the address to known addresses.
- Add an entry for each location that will have an extension present.
If the address listed does not match any known address you will receive the "location is not geocoded" error.
- Next, the e911 Address must be assigned per extension.
- Navigate to Admin > Configuration > Extensions and click Edit for the desired extension.
- Scroll down and on the right side of the page you will see a drop down labelled e911 Location.
- Select the appropriate location from this drop down menu and then press Save at the bottom of the page.
- Do this for each individual extension until they all have the appropriate location.
- At each location, dial 311 from one of the phones. You will hear the address read back to you, along with a number (the number is not one associated with your account and is for e911 purposes only).
- Confirm the address with the e911 verification system prompts and you are done!